Thursday, December 8, 2011

Olga's Kitchen Flatbread!!!

Of the many things I miss about living in the midwest, certain foods definitely make my top ten list.  This is one of them.  Olga's is a restaurant that started in Michigan and has found its way throughout the midwest.  They are famous for their flatbread filled sandwiches.  We are huge fans of Olga's and always try and have lunch there when we're back home.

So imagine my absolute giddiness when I found a recipe for our beloved flatbreads online!  THIS is where I found my new ambrosia.  They even make an appetizer called Olga Snackers with this yummy bread, and I've figured that one out as well!  I'll post that recipe tomorrow...the troops ate all the goodness before I could take pictures!

Here's the recipe...it's not very difficult and while you do need to give it about an hour to rise, each flatbread only takes about 30 seconds to cook.  Once you've got them made, they are great filled with your favorite sandwich stuffing.  My personal favorite is grilled chicken with lettuce, tomato, and honey mustard.  My eldest says they make a mean pbj; and my husband will eat them filled, unfilled, or anywhere in between.  Try these out and let me know what your favorite ways to eat them are.  And be on the lookout tomorrow for that Snacker recipe!

1 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 package yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
1 teaspoon sugar
4 cups flour
1 egg

Combine warm water, sugar, and yeast.  Set aside for 10 minutes to allow yeast to proof.  In a small saucepan, bring milk to just below boiling.  Remove from heat and mix in honey, butter, and salt.  Allow to cool 5-10 minutes until somewhat lukewarm.  Once it's cooled a bit, add the milk mixture and 1 1/2 cups flour to a mixing bowl and beat well.  Add egg and yeast mixture and combine well.  Add remaining 2 1/2 cups flour (1/2 cup at a time) and beat until dough forms.  Knead 2 minutes.  (I use the dough hook on my KitchenAid because I am a lazy baker!)  Take out the dough, spray the bowl with Pam and put the dough back.  Cover with plastic wrap and a tea towel and allow to rise for about an hour.  It should double in size.

When your hour is up, punch the dough down.  Cut into 16 pieces and roll each piece in a circle about 1/8 inch thick. (This is where I discovered I'm apparently incapable of rolling things out in rounds.)  Heat a skillet (I use my cast iron) on medium to medium high heat.  Place rounds one at a time in dry skillet.  Allow to cook about 15 seconds, then flip and allow it to cook 10-15 seconds longer.  You should get a nice toasty look to each side of your bread.  Then fill (or not) and enjoy!

Hope your families enjoy this as much as ours!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

thanks for the shoutout to my blog!